Oregon Lawyer – Criminal Defense – Personal Injury

Contact Today

Expungements/Set Asides

Clear Your Name By Working With A Portland Expungement Lawyer

A criminal conviction or arrest can follow you like a shadow. When you apply for a job, fill out a college application, submit a loan application or attempt to lease an apartment, your criminal record will come under scrutiny. To get out from under the shadow cast by your past, you can work with an attorney to pursue an expungement, or set aside, under Oregon law, or have the record of your arrest sealed.

Helping People In Oregon Protect Their Criminal Record

If you have been arrested, charged or convicted of a crime, you already know the stigma that accompanies a criminal record. However, in certain circumstances, there are options for keeping your record sealed or set aside. As your lawyer, I can help you pursue a petition to have your conviction set aside, your rights restored or your criminal record sealed in the following ways:

  • Reduction of a sentence: Some felony convictions may be reduced to misdemeanors.
  • Set aside: Under certain circumstances, a person may ask the court to have a conviction set aside and to have the record of the case, and of the arrest, sealed. If you have ever been arrested and not charged, the record of the arrest may be sealed. Also, if a case has been dismissed or you were acquitted at trial, you can have the record sealed. These petitions are complex and you must meet significant criteria to apply. As your lawyer, I will assess your chances and help you pursue the best possible option for your case.
  • Relief from sex offender registration: Being required to register as a sex offender is like the scarlet letter of our modern times. In certain circumstances a person may gain relief from the obligation to register as a sex offender.
  • Restoration of rights: A felony conviction carries significant consequences that can make it difficult to pursue the activities you previously enjoyed. For hunters and sportsmen, a felony record makes it impossible to legally possess a firearm, taking hunting and sport shooting out of the equation. I can help you petition for a restoration of your rights.

Expunge Your Criminal Record With Help From Me, Attorney James F. Halley

To learn more about expungements as they apply to your arrest or conviction, contact me, Jim Halley, to schedule a consultation at my Portland law office. You can reach me by calling 503-295-0301 or by completing an online contact form.